|Grandma Reesa talking to the Rue Clan|
|Matthew sitting with Ted's family|
|Never a party at Grandma and Grandpa's without trampoline fun--Grace catching some air|
|The boy cousins enjoying hanging out|
|Anne and new cousin Josie|
|Aunt Jessie and new cousin Josie|
|Matthew and his fan club--Kai, Grace, and JJ|
|Lyndi clapping for a job well done on the trampoline|
|Matthew and Mikayla|
|Mikalya and Abbey|
|Overview of the fun!|
Reesa had researched some really cool things to know about Ohio and Ted's sister, Anne, helped her put some of those fun facts into great activities for the kids. For instance:
- Did you know that the first stoplights were used in Ohio? The kids got to play red light, green light with the older kids playing the game wheelbarrow style.
|Abbey is an excellent stoplight|
|Kai and Grace thought the whole thing was hilarious!|
|The big kids got in on the action too|
|JJ and Gavin (and Tanya too)!|
- Did you know that chewing gum was patented in Ohio? The kids got to have a bubble gum blowing contest.
- Did you know that Thomas Edison was born in Ohio? Uncle Justin showed us how electricity works and made a light bulb glow by increasing the salt content of water.
- Did you know that the Ohio state tree is the buckeye tree which is named for the nuts that look a lot like the eye of a buck? Aunt Reesa made a traditional Ohio-an treat that looks like a buckeye (a peanut butter ball dipped in chocolate)
- Did you know that there are a lot of astronauts from Ohio--like John Glenn and Neal Armstrong? The kids got to shoot off rockets.
- Did you know that the Wright brothers were born in Ohio? The kids got to design and fly paper airplanes.
- Did you know seven US President were from Ohio? Grandpa taught the kids about some of those important guys.
After the fun Ohio activities, we had a missionary relay race. The kids ran from one station to the next doing different activities and trying to beat each other to the door. They put on missionary clothes and road a tricycle to the next station where they had a scripture chase and then ran to shave the shaving cream off a balloon. They ran to the next station where they got chased by a stuffed dog up to the door to give a door approach. If their door approach was good they got a prize! A glow stick with the scripture Matthew 5:16, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven."
Everybody was glad about their glow stick except for Ben, our little nephew. He came running up to me with his glow stick and paper and said, "Can you read this to me?" I was so excited that he was so interested in the message, so I read him the scripture with great feeling and said, "Isn't that great?" He said, "OK, where do I get my prize?" I said, "Oh buddy, the really cool glowy stick is your prize." He looked crestfallen and said, "Oh, I wanted a dog." That made me laugh . . . a lot. Anyway, on the whole everybody seemed to have a really good time. :)
The end of the night was hardest when it came time to tell everybody goodbye!
|Grandma Reesa and Grandpa Phil|
|Jessie, Dave, and Corey|
|Don and Amy|
|Anne, Josie, and Justin|
|Matthew and Tanya|
|Darrell and Sierra|
|Jeremy and Matthew|
|Chase, Jill, and Tyler|
Matthew had a great time and it was the perfect send off! Thanks for everybody's help!